I am a final year MSc Psychology (Counseling) student at Christ University.
My dissertation is about studying personality differences in people with and without body art- tattoos in specific.
While that may be the topic of my primary research, I would also be interested in doing a qualitative analysis of certain related topics. Hence, I am taking a shot and posting a few questions on this forum. Please feel free to answer them as you like and pass it on to friends or people you think might be interested.
Your replies will go a long way in making this research possible.
P.S. Please mail all responses to email@example.com. Your responses will be kept private and confidential and used only for the purpose of this research.
Definition as per this study- People with a tattoo(s) and a maximum of one ear lobe piercing on each ear to allow for a cultural sanction.
Answer the following if you have a tattoo. You may also answer this on behalf of someone you know who has a tattoo (mention the same). Please feel free to express as much as you want for any of the questions and back them with personal experience, anecdotes or academic studies. Thank You.
Socio Economic Status-
1. What is your perception about the personality of a person that decides to ink themslves? (Eg: They might be reckless/ extroverted)
2. Why do you think people decide to get tattooed/ Why did you decide to get tattooed?
3. What are some of the factors that helped you go ahead with the decision of getting inked even though it is a permanent mark on your body?
4. Do you think people who get tattooes are significantly different (personality traits and behavior wise) from people without tattoos?
5. Have you ever suffered discrimination or stigma from your workplace/ elsewhere because you have a tattoo?
6. Do you think the Indian cultural and value system has a significant impact on getting a tattoo? (Eg: increased resistance from family)
7. Do you have a tattoo (s)? If yes, can you list the details? (Where, Colour, Size, Number of tattoos etc)
8. Do you think people often regret getting inked years later? If yes, what may some of the reasons be for the same?
9. What are some of the questions you are commonly asked by people post getting the tattoo and how do you respond to the same?
10. Would you get more tattoos inspite of the number of practical challenges, restrictions, the cost, the discouragement from family and other similar factors? If yes, why? If No, why?